Editorial: Autism advocates don’t need to be enemies

Editorial: Autism advocates dont need to be enemies
Artwork by Melina Illinger

There was a blue tinge to the hallways and classrooms this past Friday as LHS students and staff members were wearing blue in support of Autism Awareness.

There was also a smattering of red in the sea of blue from students supporting the movement #RedInstead and choosing to “Boycott Autism Speaks.”

The intention behind the #RedInstead movement is to promote acceptance and empowerment (rather than just awareness) of those with autism.  Additionally, the movement heavily criticizes Autism Speaks and states in their website that Autism Speaks “routinely dehumanizes autistic people for personal gain.”  They urge people to “join us and tell partners of Autism Speaks to stop funding hate groups!”

The movement’s website also states the following: “Our work is about empowering and supporting people with all disabilities, including adults and children on the autism spectrum, to be recognized as equal citizens in our society and afforded all of the rights and opportunities that implies.”

It is admirable that another group feels so strongly about promoting empowerment and equal treatment for those with autism, which is obviously important.  However, any good intentions were lost because the anti-Autism Speaks rhetoric of that organization cast a shadow on those wearing blue in support of those affected by autism.

The Autism Speaks website states their group “has grown into the world’s leading autism science and advocacy organization, dedicated to funding research into the causes, prevention, treatments and a cure for autism; increasing awareness of autism spectrum disorders; and advocating for the needs of individuals with autism and their families.

It is clear that in their own ways, both organizations want what’s best for those with autism and for those who love someone with autism. Unfortunately, the focus on Friday was diverted from autism to discussions on which color is better: red or blue.

This isn’t Mack Plaque.  We are all on the same team.  

As journalists, we are taught that when we are taking a stance on an issue or policy that we need to reach out to the opposing side to get all facts and points of view.  Communication with key players who might be impacted by a controversial article is crucial to creating a fair argument.

This kind of communication did not happen before Friday.

Some students and teachers wearing blue were blindsided by the negativity (whether intentional or not) brought on by those in red, and they were left wondering if they had done something wrong.

These peoplesome who Autism Speaks may have even helped at one timefelt hurt to be accused (subtly or not-so-subtly) of having unkind intentions towards people with autism.  

‘Light it up blue day,’ a day that was supposed to give support to people who are affected by autism and to create unity within a community, somehow became a day that divided Lancer Nation.

Yes, the #RedInstead supporters may have helped spark a discussion about autism and Autism Speaks, and discussion can be a good thing.  After all, the two organizations are both movements with the purpose of helping and supporting those affected by autism.

It’s up to you to figure out where you stand on this issue, but remember this: Before making strong statements about any issue on social media, you should be educated on all areas of the issue.  You also need to be prepared to receive comments from others with opposing views.

Neither Autism Speaks nor BoycottAutismSpeaks are inherently wrong. What was wrong is how the day unfolded.  The attention on Friday should have been solely on autism and not on the colors being worn.

Autism Speaks and BoycottAutismSpeaks are not the only two organizations you can support. There are plenty of others such as Autism Society and National Autism Association, to name a few.

Also, if you are curious as to where funding and profits of your organization really goes, you have other means to find out such as Charity Navigator.

Letter-to-the-Editor

To see letters to the editor regarding this post, click here.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor on this or any other topic or article, please send it via email to [email protected] or drop it off in room 411.